If you just want to be happy in recovery, it may be closer than you think. Joyful living is not just for people who are living a happy, carefree life without worry. It is how a person turns around a miserable circumstance into something beautiful. Recovery teaches you that sobriety is possible and joy is just around the corner when you quit using drugs. If you are struggling to find joy and happiness in recovery, try the following tips to get motivated towards a change.
Sources of Joy
When you are in the midst of addiction, it is nearly impossible to imagine anything can bring joy ever again. You may hang on the fact that your life is a mess and sober living is dull and boring regardless of where you are at right now. The image of recovery is not true because it is not about living a life that is humdrum, you are living a life that is more full of good things than ever thought possible-you just don’t know it yet. Some sources of joy in recovery can include:
- Getting established in recovery which will create more space for joyful living
- Inner peace is the feeling of being comfortable in one’s own skin and not having to hide from reality
- Enjoy time with family and friends as it can be rewarding in recovery
- Develop meaningful relationships that last a lifetime
- Connect with others who overcame addiction and help others find the source of joy
- Look at the possibilities and opportunities ahead. It is common if you are sober to complain there is not enough time to do all the things there are to do (sober)
- Having realistic expectations of what recovery is about to enter the process with a positive mindset
- Joyful living comes from deep within, it is not just about outward appearance of smiling and being happy all the time
- It takes a lot of effort to get there and maintain recovery
- Physical sobriety is followed up with emotional recovery
The Joy of Sobriety
When you become sober, you are in a great position to achieve your potential. This does not mean you will achieve every goal but you are well on your way. Once you establish sober living principles, nothing can stop you. You may have to deal with some failure along the way but the journey to your recovery goals is more rewarding than anything you have ever accomplished. Believe in yourself and you will end up going further than you ever dreamt possible.
Oceanfront provides a space for you to recover and find your joy again. It is up to you to take the first step towards happiness, which comes from taking ownership of your recovery experience. Call us at 877-279-1777 to learn about our programs and get started on the journey to recovery.