With Thanksgiving now behind us, it’s only a matter of time before Christmas is here. For some of us, the holidays allow us to enjoy the rest and relaxation we need in the comfort of family and friends we love. For others, though, the holiday season may be marked by grief, regret, or loss.
It’s important to follow sobriety tips during the holiday season to stay safe, healthy and in control. These tips can help us enjoy the holidays without succumbing to unhealthy or dangerous behaviors. If you have searched Google for “addiction treatment near me,” you have come to the right place. Contact Oceanfront Recovery today at (877) 297-2997 to learn more about sobriety tips. Our addiction treatment in Laguna Beach, CA, is located on the beautiful Pacific coastline and provides an ideal setting to rest, reflect, and heal.
Why Are the Holidays Difficult?
The holidays can be difficult for many reasons. It can be a time of year when we feel the absence of a lost loved one or an opportunity to reflect on missed moments with family and friends. The holidays can also be overwhelming for those of us who struggle with addiction. The parties, dinners, and celebrations can bring a tempting array of triggers that could lead to relapse. Here are some of the most common triggers:
- Access to alcohol or drugs
- Environments where substance use is socially acceptable
- People who encourage or pressure us to drink or use
- Unrealistic expectations of ourselves or others
- Stressful events
- Feelings of loneliness and isolation
These triggers are only natural and can be difficult to avoid. But with the right strategies and tools, we can protect ourselves from them in order to enjoy a sober holiday season.
Preparation can help. Here are a few tips for sobriety this holiday season:
1. Plan ahead – Take a few moments to think about how you want to manage the holidays. Are there situations that can be avoided? Where can you find support if needed?
2. Choose an accountability partner – Ask a friend or family member to help you stay accountable and check in with them regularly throughout the holidays.
3. Find an outlet – Exercise, meditate, practice mindfulness, and be sure to set aside time for yourself during the holiday season.
4. Know your triggers – Identify activities and emotions that can trigger cravings and make a plan for how to handle them ahead of time.
5. Stay connected – If you’re away from home, reach out to your support network and stay involved with your recovery program.
6. Stay hydrated – Dehydration can lead to fatigue, so be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the holidays.
7. Enjoy yourself – Celebrate the season with friends and family by engaging in sober activities you can enjoy together.
The holiday season should be a time of celebration and joy. However, it can also be a stressful or difficult time for those in recovery from addiction. Remember, you don’t have to go through it alone.
Learn More Tips for Sobriety at Oceanfront Recovery
At Oceanfront Recovery, we are committed to helping people in recovery achieve lasting sobriety. Our clinicians and staff understand that the holidays can be a difficult time and offer support, guidance, and tools to help you stay on track. Contact Oceanfront Recovery today at (877) 296-7477 to learn more about sobriety tips. Our small and personalized addiction treatment center in Laguna Beach, CA, provides an ideal setting to rest, reflect, and heal. We are here to help you discover the healthy and happy life you deserve. Call us today and start your journey to sobriety this holiday season.
We look forward to hearing from you.